Sunday, November 14, 2010

Taco Soup

I have made this taco soup several times now for many different people and I have yet to have someone say they don't like it, So I figured I should do a blog about it!


Taco Soup
Makes 8-10 servings. WW Pt Value: 7-9.
Cooking time is 4 hrs in a 5 qt Crock pot.

1 lb ground chuck. ( I have used ground turkey and ground beef every time I made it with great results)
1oz envelope dry ranch style salad dressing mix. (this last time I made it I used fiesta ranch)
1oz envelope Taco Seasoning mix. (I used HOT taco seasoning this last time to spice it up for Mat)
3-10oz cans diced tomatoes w/ green chillies
2-21 oz can pinto beans drained and rinsed. ( I just used 16 oz cans b/c I didn't find 21 oz)
2-15.5 oz can hominy drained
14.5 can stewed tomatoes, undrained.
1 cup finely chopped onion. (I used yellow sweet but I bet a red onion would be good too)
2 cups water. (add or decrease the amount of water to make it more soup like or more stew like... I think the 2 cups is just perfect)

Brown the meat then add all remaining ingredients into the crock pot and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 4 hrs. (you could even cook it on high for 2 hrs but I haven't tried that yet. You can leave it cooking all day if you wanted)

Suggested serving ideas is to line a bowl with tortilla chips and ladle soup on top. Dollop w/sour cream and sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro. (gotta be honest I haven't done much of this because the soup is just so good on it's own.)

I served this soup with my Sweet Corn and Bacon Empanadas... but that's for another blog post

Hope everyone trys making this soup with great success. I know it will soon become a family favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment