Saturday, January 19, 2013

Neck pain equals a trip to the ER?

If you guys follow me on Twitter or Facebook than you probably already know that my Thursday turned crazy real quick!

It all started Monday while I was at work. I had a tummy ache since Sunday and then suddenly I got a neck ache. (already falling part on my second day back to work) The neck ache was super annoying just round my collar bone. I took some ibuprofen, tried stretching it out and messaging it in hopes to get it better. Come Wednesday and the pain was still bad and seemed to have gotten a bit worse. I also noticed that the stomach ache never really went away. It seemed like the two pains were connected (neck pain was far worse) so I decided I would make a Dr appointment after nearly everyone said i should. I got an appointment for the next day at 1:15pm.

Going to the Dr I didn't really have much hope that they would be able to help besides giving me some stretches to do since I am breast feeding and the pain killers I can take are limited. I got there right on time and described what my symptoms were and much to my surprise the Dr said that I needed to go to the ER. It was the combo of symptoms that worried her. My stomach ache that hadn't gone away was right under the middle of my rib cage was interpreted as chest pain I guess and the fact that my neck didn't really hurt when I moved but did when I took deep breaths lead to her think I could possibly have a blood clot. I was in shock! How does neck pain change to a blood clot so fast? The Dr offered to have a ambulance take me to the hospital but of course I refused. I was just having freaking neck pain! I texted Mat and told him to get dressed because he had to take me to the ER. I think I freaked him out a bit.

I drove myself home and got Sloane ready while Mat got dressed and we headed off to Evergreen Hospital. I packed a bunch of pumped milk in case they wanted to give me drugs that would prevent me from breast feeding. The car ride was pretty silent, I shouldn't have told Mat how bad a blood clot could be.

Checking into the hospital was easy cause the doctor had called and said I was on my way. I had to be wheeled around in a wheel chair which I thought was just ridiculous but "people with chest pain get the royal treatment" according to the nurses. Once checked in I was wheeled to room 24, right next to a room where the patient was screaming. To say I didn't feel like I should be there was an under statement.

They said they had to do some blood work, a chest x ray and hook me up to heart monitors and an IV. Once we were done with that it was a waiting game to see what the blood work said. The blood test was to see if I had a blood clot. If it came back positive it didn't actually mean I had a blood clot but it did mean they needed to take a closer look. Much to my surprise the test came back positive so I had to be given a cat scan.

Getting a cat scan for the first time was pretty exciting. The machine talks to you can tells you when to hold your breath and when to breath and when to swallow and not swallow. They also had to give me a injection to make my blood contrast in the pictures. The contrast injection was a crazy feeling. It makes you all warm, gives you a metallic taste in your mouth and makes you feel like you peed your pants. Once done they covered me in warmed blankets cause I was pretty cold and wheeled me back into my room to waiting Mat and Sloane. They said it would be a 45 minute wait for the results.

I must say Sloane did so great while there. I fed her when we first got there and then she was a happy baby watching everyone hooking me up to all the machines. Of course everyone commented about how adorable she was and what a good baby she was. She fussed for just a little bit when she got tired but we put her in her car seat, closed to cover and rocked her till she fell asleep. The highlight of the ER was seeing her little feet poking out from under the car seat cover.

They came back with the results about an hours later and said it all looked good. No blood clot!!  I was relieved but to be honest I never really believed that I had anything that serious to begin with. I mostly felt ridiculous about being at the ER. They said they did see some little spot right under my diaphragm that I should have looked at again in like 9 months, just to see if it hasn't grown or anything, but nothing really to worry about. So they sent me on my way. I wasn't really thinking, I should have asked what to do about my neck, so I left still in pain. I was just happy to be getting out of there.

Mat and I hadn't eaten anything since we had breakfast so we headed to burgermaster for dinner. I was too excited to have a burger, fries and a peanut butter shake after the crazy day I had. I was exhausted and ready to just relax from the stress. I felt bad cause it was my forth day back to work and I was already back in the hospital. I swear I hope I don't see another hospital till I have our next baby, which won't be for a few years at least!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment